[rhillsqd] Re: Digital Compass Question

  • From: "Harald Themer" <ht@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rhillsqd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:04:26 -0400

Dear Paul :
A digital compass receives it's info from a internal to the compass unit
which measures the earth magnetic field and translates this info to digital
data . Some units are capable of receiving input as it pertains to "
Variation " . You must keep in mind however that variation changes
geographically and such input would only be useful if your cruising is
within reasonable distance from your home port. Only " Kreisel " compasses
are capable to ignore variation and deviation . These kind of compasses are
very expensive and generally not available for the average boater.