[retroforth] Re: RetroForth 8.0

  • From: aprice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: retroforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 17:25:57 -0800

>>> My only concern here is: does it involve an extra jump for every
> invocation of the 'does' word?
No. does> changed a jump (call dovar) to (call code_after_does) and
inserted a bit of "fixup" code after does> and before allowing the
compiler to continue. My does word inserts a single call followed by a
ret. does> ended up inserting more jumps overall (the fixup code made
use of an additional subroutine).<<

Cool! Sounds neater generally.

> I would prefer loadable personally, but not a biggie. :)

The problem here is that  we have to have a way to load things. I can
do  blocks, which are easily portable across OSes (including the
native version) or files, which tend to be a bit trickier to deal with
IMO. A fixed-size blockfile is enough to let us load and enable
full-scale file I/O, so I see this as the best route.<<

Ah, I see. Makes total sense. :)

Andy

Andrew Price
C.T.O.