[regional_school] Why CCSS is a Failure

  • From: Dan Drmacich <dandrmacich123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bolgen Vargas <bolgen.vargas@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Jose Cruz <countyleg@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Malik Evans <mightymalik@xxxxxxx>, Mary B Adams <maryb_adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Melisza Campos <meliszacampos@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Van White <van.white@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Willa Powell <wpowell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Anthony Bottar <RegentBottar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Betty Rosa <RegentRosa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Charles Bendit <RegentBendit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Christine Cea <RegentCea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Geraldine Chapey <RegentChapey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Harry Phillips III <RegentPhillips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, James Cottrell <RegentCottrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, James Dawson <RegentDawson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, James Jackson <RegentJackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, James Tallon <RegentTallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kathleen Cashin <RegentCashin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Lester Young <RegentYoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Merryl Tisch <RegentTisch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NYS Regents Office <regentsoffice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Regent Brown <regentbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Robert Bennett <RegentBennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roger Tilles <RegentTiles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Wade Norwood <regentnorwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Lovely Warren <lovely.warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 09:28:21 -0400

What Counts Most in Education? Intellect or Interest? Facts or Soul?
<http://dianeravitch.net/2014/07/29/what-counts-most-in-education/>
By dianeravitch <http://dianeravitch.net/author/dianerav/>
July 29, 2014
<http://dianeravitch.net/2014/07/29/what-counts-most-in-education/> //
9
<http://dianeravitch.net/2014/07/29/what-counts-most-in-education/#comments>

In what most surely be the most famous statement by David Coleman, the
architect of the Common Core standards, he said that “no one gives a s—
what you think or feel.” In place of personal motivation, Coleman stresses
cool intellectual analysis of text and problems in the Common Core.
Fiction, which might dwell too much on emotion, takes a back seat to
informational text.

But this is wrong
<http://vigornotrigor.wordpress.com/2014/07/24/passion-and-purpose/>, says
blogger John Chase. Even in the world of business, employers find that
their most valued workers are engaged in their work. They bring passion to
doing it well. The best places to work have a “soul,” and they strive to
keep their workers engaged and purposeful.

He writes:

“K-12 education programs that claim to prepare students for college and
careers should be focused more on cultivating a wide array of social and
emotional competencies that are transferable workforce skills rather than
continually testing a narrow set of measurable Math and ELA skills.

“Learning should be a self-directed journey of discovery. Students should
be “free to learn” as they explore their interests and pursue their
passions rather than simply following a map and predetermined path to each
Common Core learning standard….

“Learning should be passion-driven rather than data-driven and focus on the
needs of students rather than the needs of the tests. Classroom activities
should provide numerous opportunities for students to connect with their
dreams, feelings, interests, and other people rather than demand students
read closely and stay connected to text.”

My comment:

We are driven to learn by interest and passion and purpose, not by the
soulless collection of test scores, credits, and points. We learn best when
we want to learn, not because we are ordered to learn. That which we do by
mandate is soon forgotten. That which we seek and find becomes ours forever.