[regional_school] Re: Cuomo names deputy education secretary

  • From: NSMULTER@xxxxxxx
  • To: regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 22:29:49 -0400 (EDT)

No, but this bio sounds scary to me!!!  Governors Association,  America's
Choice, Teach for America??

In a message dated 9/9/2011 2:52:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
datias34@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Does anyone know of this  guy?

http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/voteup/2011/09/09/cuomo-names-deputy-e
ducation-secretary/

Cuomo names deputy education secretary

Posted by _Cara  Matthews_
(http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/voteup/author/clmatthe/)  • September 9,
2011 • 12:08 pm

Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced today that he has appointed David  Wakelyn, who
has worked for the National Governors Association since  2009, as his
deputy secretary for education. At the Governors  Association, Wakelyn led
projects to implement education standards and  provided consultation to turn
around low-performing schools.

“With his extensive experience in improving the performance of  schools all
across the nation, David Wakelyn is the right person to help  turn around
our schools,” Cuomo said in a statement. “He is an expert in  state policy
for education, and together we will deliver results for  students and
families in New York.”

Wakelyn was senior policy analyst for the National Governors  Association
from 2005 to 2009, leading a $4 million expansion of  Advanced Placement
classes in six states. It increased enrollment of  minority students by 89
percent and improved performance at a rate twice  the national average, Cuomo
said.

Before joining the association, Wakelyn was a senior associate for  America’
s Choice School Design. Prior to that, he was a research  associate for the
Wisconsin Center for Education Research. He taught  math to seventh- and
eighth-graders in California with Teach for America  from 1990 to 1993.

He received his Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s
Department of Educational Leadership & Policy Analysis in 2006. He  has a
master’s in
public administration from the University of Wisconsin  and a bachelor’s in
American history and political science from  Vanderbilt University.

“David Wakelyn has a proven record of improving performance in  schools all
across the United States, and I am confident he will deliver  the same
results for New York,” Gaston Caperton, president of the  College Board and
former West Virginia governor, said in a  statement.