[regional_school] Cuomo names deputy education secretary

  • From: David Atias <datias34@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: School Regional <regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 11:49:17 -0700 (PDT)

Does anyone know of this guy?

http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/voteup/2011/09/09/cuomo-names-deputy-education-secretary/

Cuomo names deputy education secretary
        Posted by Cara Matthews • September 9, 2011 • 12:08 pm

Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced today that he has appointed David
Wakelyn, who has worked for the National Governors Association since
2009, as his deputy secretary for education. At the Governors
Association, Wakelyn led projects to implement education standards and
provided consultation to turn around low-performing schools.

“With his extensive experience in improving the performance of
schools all across the nation, David Wakelyn is the right person to help
 turn around our schools,” Cuomo said in a statement. “He is an expert
in state policy for education, and together we will deliver results for
students and families in New York.”

Wakelyn was senior policy analyst for the National Governors
Association from 2005 to 2009, leading a $4 million expansion of
Advanced Placement classes in six states. It increased enrollment of
minority students by 89 percent and improved performance at a rate twice
 the national average, Cuomo said.

Before joining the association, Wakelyn was a senior associate for
America’s Choice School Design. Prior to that, he was a research
associate for the Wisconsin Center for Education Research. He taught
math to seventh- and eighth-graders in California with Teach for America
 from 1990 to 1993.

He received his Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s
Department of Educational Leadership & Policy Analysis in 2006. He
has a master’s in public administration from the University of Wisconsin
 and a bachelor’s in American history and political science from
Vanderbilt University.

“David Wakelyn has a proven record of improving performance in
schools all across the United States, and I am confident he will deliver
 the same results for New York,” Gaston Caperton, president of the
College Board and former West Virginia governor, said in a statement.