[recoll-user] Re: hashtag search

  • From: Jean-Francois Dockes <jfd@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: recoll-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 10:52:22 +0200

Bernie Bontemps writes:
 > First, thanks for the great work!
 >
 > I was looking for a way to organize all my research notes and your tool
 > seems very promising.
 >
 > I have a problem though. I am organizing my notes on several levels, one
 > being hashtags I used as metadata. For example I use #book to keep track of
 > a book title I reference or discuss somewhere.
 > This is different for an occurence of "book", because I might then just
 > talk about booking an hotel or sth.
 >
 > Anyway, it seems special characters as # are stripped when parsing the
 > terms. Is there an easy way to actually alter this behavior so the
 > distinction between #book and book is made?
 >
 > Thanks again for the great work, I definitely want to read more about your
 > work when time permits.

Hi,

It is not currently possible to configure Recoll to support hashtags, but
this would be a very simple modification of the program.

As far as I can see, the only consequence would be that, when searching
source code for languages where # is a comment character, some commented
pieces of code would not be found (it's quite common to comment out a line
of code without inserting a space). I don't think that this would be an
issue for actual comments, because people usually add a space after # in
this case.

So this is fairly minor, and supporting twittery hashtags seems like a
reasonable thing to do. Does anyone on the mailing list has an opinion
about this ?

Cheers,

jf