[recoll-user] Re: Headless setup possible?

  • From: Jean-Francois Dockes <jfd@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: recoll-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 11:06:43 +0100

Keller Daniel writes:
 > Hi
 >
 > > What makes you think that this would be an issue ?

 > Well if I start it from command line I get "Cannot load library
 > icui18n:" and I didn't find documentation that explicitly talkes about
 > headless setups. It all seems to be focused on local machine / X-Window
 > available type of setups

I take it that you started the GUI program, recoll, from the command line ?
This depends on Qt and a bunch of associated libraries of course.

I think that you have two possible approaches:
 - Install the standard package and its dependancies, forget about the 200
   MBs, and only use the command-line indexer recollindex.
 - Build the package yourself, to get rid of all Qt and X11 dependancies.

 > > If you are using the real-time indexer, use option -x to disable X11
 > session monitoring.
 > I did install the package from ubunutu 12.04. I guess you are refering to "
 > rclmon.sh". I can't find that file in these two directories /usr/local/[share
 > /]recoll/examples.

rclmon.sh is a script which can be used to start and stop the indexer,
recollindex, typically when entering and exiting a desktop session. It
could be modified for other uses, by adjusting the options to the
recollindex command (typically add -x -w 0 in your case). Can't remember if
it is installed or where, but it's in the source, in the index/ directory
(e.g. on bitbucket).

 > I guess I will have to compile it myself. It is good to know, that it
 > will be worth to continue this path.
 >
 > Some guide that describes how a headless setup should be configured would
 > certainly be appreciated.

I think that you will only need "man recollindex" or a look at the recoll
manual: http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/recoll/usermanual/usermanual.html

There is nothing in Recoll which forces the use of the GUI program,
"recoll". Not needed for indexing at all, and you can use the command-line
recollq or the webui for searching.

So the guide to headlessness is just: read the "recollindex" man page and the
configuration section of the user doc, and don't use the GUI :)

Cheers,

jf