[realmusicians] optical drives again

  • From: Chris Belle <cb1963@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "realmusicians-freelists.org" <realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 07:16:04 -0600

You know guys, I think I may have to give the nod to lite-on over lg maybe.

After my bad experiences with the samsung burners, I was gifted with a couple of lite-on drives and also went out and got an lg.

They both go down to 8x, but some of the stuff on the forums I've been reading say that lite-on and plextor are a lot alike, plextor is more or less banking on their reputation of old and using lite-on and lg designs now.

Who knows?

But my initial test burning with both drives at high speed play fine on my little junky portable player which usually gives trouble on burns that aren't perfect.

I've tested on cmc magnetics media, hp stuff but the same company that makes verbatim, and also on tayo udyne disks.

The burners I'm using are respectively the
lite on
ihas424  y
and the
lg
gh24ls70

The tray feels sturdier in the lite-on, and it may be a bit quieter.

But the lg does a good job too so far as I can tell, all my test data hasn't come back yet from disks I've sent off.

I won't count the bluray burner as it's probably not optimized for cd burning,
but just for the record, it's the
lg
hl-dt-st bd-re wh12ls30

And it'll probably burn acceptable cds for most situations, but I really wonder on the lasers that are asked to do such a wide range of color if they aren't or don't have to be geared better for one type of burning over another.

They seemed to have bridged the gap ok with regular dvds and cd, but bluray is still relatively new, so maybe it'll get better with time.

And then there's that new quad bluray format that's insane, a hundred gigs on a disk.

Not sure if I'd wan to trust one of those.

speaking of which, does anyone know a good source of quality bluray media?

For all your audio production needs and technology training, visit us at

www.affordablestudioservices.com
or contact
Chris Belle
cb1963@xxxxxxxxxxxxx