[realmusicians] Re: material for learning guitar

  • From: Tom Kingston <tom.kingston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 02:12:06 -0500

Thanks again, Chris. Wow. Lots to think about.

Tom

On 12/7/2011 10:40 PM, Chris Belle wrote:
At 04:09 PM 12/7/2011, you wrote:
Hey Chris,

Thanks. Here's a few questions intermingled with your comments.

On 12/7/2011 8:45 AM, Chris Belle wrote:

Ok, never mind, 'grin', the simple answer is that take any reasonable
electric guitar, and any reasonable acoustic guitar, and the answer is
that yes, the electric will be easier to fret.

But controling pressure, and not over strongly pressing on strings, and
such and hitting the strings with just the right amount of force, etc
will all be different on an acoustic than an electric.
So are you saying that playing an electric is along with being
physically easier also more forgiving than that of an acoustic? Or to
put it another way, does your technique have to be more finely tuned
when playing an acoustic.

No, you need a more delicate touch when playing the electric generally,
because pressure can change pitch more quickly.

That being said, gauges of string, and quality of instrument and of
course technique matter on both.

Also electric necks tend to be thinner, not always, but the size of your
hands and such will matter, and there are different types of necks, c
shaped, v shaped, and variations in between.

There are hybrids like the gibson hollow bodies, which lean toward being
more electric,
More electric in both senses? e.g. sound and ease of playing? Sounds
like a compelling compromise. But I don't imagine they would by any
chance be the best of both worlds. On the other hand, would one of
these beasts give me the easier electric action and also allow me to
at least practice anywhere any time without having to plug in and
power up an amp?

Yes, and there are thinner guitars with thinner necks which player more
easily, slim bodied acoustics like the alvarez I used to have, weren't
very loud, but could still be played without being plugged in.

also, there are small battery powered amps too.\

Ieven thin I read of something once, a small amp like thing that plugged
in to the guitar and was so small it was part of the plug, but of course
something like that couldn't be too loud.

But an electro-acoustic would allow you to practice acoustic guitar
technique, and let you plug in for gigs, you won't get the prestine
acoustic sound, but going through a pa at the local vfw or eagles club,
their not likely to complain because your guitar didn't sound like a 3k
custom made taylor 'grin'.

As lost as you can pick the orange blossom special or friendns in low
places and are marginally in tune 'grin'.

> and I do think for an all round guitarist, that learning your basics on
> a decent acoustic will lay the foundation, later you can decide whether
> you want to be an electric players mostly, or acoustic, or do both.
Can you expand a bit on why you recommend an acoustic as the best
starting point? Is it just going to give you the chops you need that
will make an electric a breeze if you decide to go that route later
on. Kind of like learning to play the piano on a cheap console, and if
you had the will power to stick it out and suffer the pain and
frustration of the instruments limits you step into a Steinway
showroom one day and have an orgasm when you discover how effortless
playing a piano can actually be.

I think building up initial strength and caluses is important.

and learning fundamentals, and an acoustic guitar will challenge you
more to play cleanly, it's easy to cover up sloppy playing with
distortion, and effects, and
sort of slide by having fun but you can't cheat on an acoustic.

It's harder to anyway, and once you have the foundation of an acoustic
then electric will be easy to play you just have to adjust down to not
fretting so hard, and picking more easily, in some cases, they are
different beasts, but the acoustic is like taming the mule, and then a
fine electric can be like riding a walking horse.

Of course, there are some folks who won't or can't adjust to playing both,
like some blue grass flat pickers who can eat up an acoustic are sloppy
on an electric, it just depends on the person, like some folks can play
piano great but can't master an organ, kind of that difference, just
because it's a keyboard there are important differences.

But still, I think the acoustic offers the best starting off place,
I love to play both electric and acoustic, but I'm glad I learned on an
acoustic.

Just try and get one that's not a piece of junk to learn on, you don't
need to spend thousands, but stay away from the beginner packages like
we talked about unless you take someone with you who plays and can tell
you the difference.

sometimes I have found cheap guitars that play supprisingly well, and if
this is something your not sure you'll really be in to forever, you may
not want to drop a bundle, but start with something modest and see how
it goes.

but nothin will frustrate you quicker than a junky instrument whether it
be electric or acoustic.

Thanks for all the other tech-tips and commentary as well. Lots of
good food for thought.

Tom

For all your audio production needs and technology training, visit us at

www.affordablestudioservices.com
or contact
Chris Belle
cb1963@xxxxxxxxxxxxx