[realmusicians] Re: material for learning guitar

  • From: Tom Kingston <tom.kingston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 10:52:07 -0500

Boy, you aint kidding about the choices. Ignorance sure is bliss. Heck, I thought, how many variants of an acoustic guitar can there be? A hell of a lot more than I expected. But that's okay. I'm in no rush. So I'll continue poking around the net, learning the terminology, tips and tricks, things to consider, etc. as well as listening to demos. I figure I should spend some time doing this before I even consider going to a shop and getting completely overwhelmed when they've got 50 guitars in the price range I specify. So I'll keep plugging away at it until I at least have some idea of what I'm looking for. It's an interesting endeavor; I'll say that much.

Tom

On 12/9/2011 5:45 AM, Chris Belle wrote:
Oh yeh, as long as you realize, those tones didn't come strictly from
the guitar.

Lots of external processing going on.

With good amp simulation and modeling, you can make even a cheap pizo
sound decent.

That's part of the psychology of selling it, you know like making those
big keyboard sounds in the store huge pads and big well, we've talked
about this stuff before how roland and yamy and such have big tones but
kurtzweil sounds fit in a mix so nicely but don't sound so good by
themselves necessarily.

It's a little different situation here,
but to me, you just can't get away from that pizo plugged in sound if
your using an acoustic guitar plugged in.

It's like hospital food, best you can do is season it some 'grin'.

But sitting on the couch and playing for enjoyment, it won't mater, that
taylor will sound good.

And if you can afford it, why not?

There are a lot more choices these days than there used to be.

At 04:00 PM 12/8/2011, you wrote:
Interesting. Taylors and Martins were the first two I listened to. I
figured what the heck, I might as well start at the top and work my
way down to see how much things change. And yeah, they're like
opposite ends of the spectrum; Martins being punchy and bold while
Taylors are mellow and warmer.

I guess I just like that mellow warm sound considering that I see no
future for the guitar and me other than personal enjoyment and
relaxation. And while listening, the thought of kicking back, playing
for the pure enjoyment of playing, and hearing that nice full bodied
round tone seemed more inviting because I won't be trying to fit it
into or get it to cut through anything.

And regarding the T5? Well, of course you can't get the best of all
worlds out of one axe, but hey, I (not being a guitar player) was
pretty impressed on how much they could offer in one guitar.

Tom

On 12/8/2011 12:19 PM, Chris Belle wrote:
Taylors are considered by many to be the cadalac of acoustic guitars.

To me, they are sort of well, a lot of women play taylors because of the
thin neck, and they are fine instruments, but I like something with a
little more balls.

It doesn't have to be a loud boomy martin, but something in between.

Gipson, tocs, anything like that.

Taylors are fine instruments, but as you've noticed extremely pricey,
and quality is worth it sometimes, but you can get many guitars for a
lot less which are very fine instruments.

I've played taylors before, and for me, 3 times the price isn't three
times the wow yummy factor, but a guitar is a very personal thing, so go
try lots of them before you decide.

If you want the best plugged in sound, I like the fishman pickups,
but then they use a micro-phone combo with traditional pick-up system,
there you go, can't get away from the microphone.

It's inside the guitar, so too much mic and you get that hollow cave
effects from the mic being inside the guitar, but what most folk players
do is use some sort of decent pick-up system, and a 57 or whatever on
stage, and work in and out of the mic.

When I mic a guitar, I love to stereo mic, use the hotspot usually near
the bridge,
run a line from the tail to the bottom of the guitar, a quarter circle,
and; your hotspot will be someplace in there where the tone is clear but
not boomy and it will be the louest usually, and then a mic at the place
between the sound hole and the neck, the traditional micing position.

Mics being close to the guitar and close to each other insures no
phasing problems, and gives you a glorious stereo spread.

also i like to mix the plugged in sound with a mic for an
electro-acoustic sound if a pure acoustic tone isn't absolutely
necessary, like for contemporary stuff.

My acoustic variax is pretty amazing how good it sounds for a fake
guitar going through a dsp, but it doesn't play nicely like my toc, it's
made kind of cheap,
but for quickly grabbing and playing a track in the control room for a
rhythm or a few licks on a stock country gospel track it's fine.

I'm getting lazy in my old age 'grin'.

At 09:42 AM 12/8/2011, you wrote:
Ah, okay. I see what you're saying now.

Thanks again. I've been doing a little listening and I really like the
warm tone of Taylor guitars. But of course I've only heard the tip of
the iceberg. So I guess I won't order one today. Heh! But the T5
hybrid is really cool. Search for it on YouTube and give it a listen.
It's like 5 guitars in one. Just don't look at the price tag.

Tom

On 12/8/2011 10:06 AM, Chris Belle wrote:
Sorry 'grin', I will explain further.

When you pluck the string gently hold your finger at the 12th fret and
you will get a harmonic.

Then pluck the string and really fret the string at the 12th fret, and
you will get a tone.

See how close the tones match.

If they are spot on, you have a good instrument most likely.

At 03:38 AM 12/8/2011, you wrote:
Pardon my ignorance oh great guitar guru. But I don't understand what
you mean when you say to pluck the strings at the 12th fret and then
pluck them *fretted* at the same fret. If they're not fretted how is
plucking a string up at the 12th fret going to generate the same
pitch. I just see myself plucking an open string up at that fret. So
what am I missing?

Thanks,
Tom

On 12/8/2011 3:11 AM, Chris Belle wrote:
I wish I lived near you, I'd go ax shopping with you.

But here aresome things to check.

When looking at an acoustic guitar with a fixed bridge, pluck the
strings at the 12th fret, and then pluck them fretted at the same
frett
and see if you notice a marked difference in pitch.

This is intonation, if the pitches are noticeably different, you'll
never tune that guitar correctly.

Sometimes this can be helped out by a good guitar tech, but usually,
this is a fixed thing on lots of acoustic guitars.

On electrics, even on the inexpensive ones, the sadxdles move
back and
forth and you can adjust the ratio of the distances between the
string
nutt and the bridge to make the tones match up.

Fret your strings up and down the neck and notice if there are any
buzzy
spots, and feel the frets, see if they feel smooth and even.

when you turn the machine heads to tune, notice if the strings tune
smoothly or catch, notice if the machine heads feel wobbly or tight,
some can be tightened and adjusted, some are fixed.

At 01:12 AM 12/8/2011, you wrote:
Thanks again, Chris. Wow. Lots to think about.

Tom

On 12/7/2011 10:40 PM, Chris Belle wrote:
At 04:09 PM 12/7/2011, you wrote:
Hey Chris,

Thanks. Here's a few questions intermingled with your comments.

On 12/7/2011 8:45 AM, Chris Belle wrote:

Ok, never mind, 'grin', the simple answer is that take any
reasonable
electric guitar, and any reasonable acoustic guitar, and the
answer is
that yes, the electric will be easier to fret.

But controling pressure, and not over strongly pressing on
strings,
and
such and hitting the strings with just the right amount of
force,
etc
will all be different on an acoustic than an electric.
So are you saying that playing an electric is along with being
physically easier also more forgiving than that of an acoustic?
Or to
put it another way, does your technique have to be more finely
tuned
when playing an acoustic.

No, you need a more delicate touch when playing the electric
generally,
because pressure can change pitch more quickly.

That being said, gauges of string, and quality of instrument
and of
course technique matter on both.

Also electric necks tend to be thinner, not always, but the
size of
your
hands and such will matter, and there are different types of
necks, c
shaped, v shaped, and variations in between.

There are hybrids like the gibson hollow bodies, which lean
toward
being
more electric,
More electric in both senses? e.g. sound and ease of playing?
Sounds
like a compelling compromise. But I don't imagine they would
by any
chance be the best of both worlds. On the other hand, would
one of
these beasts give me the easier electric action and also allow
me to
at least practice anywhere any time without having to plug in and
power up an amp?

Yes, and there are thinner guitars with thinner necks which player
more
easily, slim bodied acoustics like the alvarez I used to have,
weren't
very loud, but could still be played without being plugged in.

also, there are small battery powered amps too.\

Ieven thin I read of something once, a small amp like thing that
plugged
in to the guitar and was so small it was part of the plug, but of
course
something like that couldn't be too loud.

But an electro-acoustic would allow you to practice acoustic
guitar
technique, and let you plug in for gigs, you won't get the
prestine
acoustic sound, but going through a pa at the local vfw or eagles
club,
their not likely to complain because your guitar didn't sound like
a 3k
custom made taylor 'grin'.

As lost as you can pick the orange blossom special or friendns in
low
places and are marginally in tune 'grin'.

> and I do think for an all round guitarist, that learning your
basics on
> a decent acoustic will lay the foundation, later you can decide
whether
> you want to be an electric players mostly, or acoustic, or do
both.
Can you expand a bit on why you recommend an acoustic as the best
starting point? Is it just going to give you the chops you need
that
will make an electric a breeze if you decide to go that route
later
on. Kind of like learning to play the piano on a cheap console,
and if
you had the will power to stick it out and suffer the pain and
frustration of the instruments limits you step into a Steinway
showroom one day and have an orgasm when you discover how
effortless
playing a piano can actually be.

I think building up initial strength and caluses is important.

and learning fundamentals, and an acoustic guitar will
challenge you
more to play cleanly, it's easy to cover up sloppy playing with
distortion, and effects, and
sort of slide by having fun but you can't cheat on an acoustic.

It's harder to anyway, and once you have the foundation of an
acoustic
then electric will be easy to play you just have to adjust down
to not
fretting so hard, and picking more easily, in some cases, they are
different beasts, but the acoustic is like taming the mule, and
then a
fine electric can be like riding a walking horse.

Of course, there are some folks who won't or can't adjust to
playing
both,
like some blue grass flat pickers who can eat up an acoustic are
sloppy
on an electric, it just depends on the person, like some folks can
play
piano great but can't master an organ, kind of that difference,
just
because it's a keyboard there are important differences.

But still, I think the acoustic offers the best starting off
place,
I love to play both electric and acoustic, but I'm glad I learned
on an
acoustic.

Just try and get one that's not a piece of junk to learn on, you
don't
need to spend thousands, but stay away from the beginner packages
like
we talked about unless you take someone with you who plays and can
tell
you the difference.

sometimes I have found cheap guitars that play supprisingly well,
and if
this is something your not sure you'll really be in to forever,
you
may
not want to drop a bundle, but start with something modest and
see how
it goes.

but nothin will frustrate you quicker than a junky instrument
whether it
be electric or acoustic.

Thanks for all the other tech-tips and commentary as well.
Lots of
good food for thought.

Tom

For all your audio production needs and technology training, visit
us at

www.affordablestudioservices.com
or contact
Chris Belle