[realmusicians] Re: howdy

  • From: "Chris Belle" <cb1963@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 22:08:49 -0500

Well, that's one thing possitive about reaper, it's not power hungry like sonar
is.

Like comparing a motorcycle to a full blown motor home with all the bells and
whistles.

They'll both get you there, but as to your room, you can do a lot to make it
better, and not break the bank.

If you don't have a lot of noise in the immediate environment, you can hang
blankets, and or put stuff on the walls, and in the corners to break up those
nasty fluter reflections, and warm the room up a bit.

Carpet on the floor, if your recording in the same room as the computer, then
having a dynamic mic is your friend because a good condenser will pick up
everything and the grass hoppers whispering outside.

Even in my moderately upscale home studio, I still reach for a dynamic because
I got ghetto hoppers that like to cruise the hood with 3 kw in their trunks,
and there's just nothing short of a concrete suround and floating everything
that'll stop that.

Only so much you can do with an old house.

But using close micing techniques, and avoiding recording during rush hour, and
using hi pass filters, and all that stuff let's me get acceptably clean
recordings.

My noise floor is about 80 db down, which is better than we ever got in the
tape days.

Don't give up, man I used to get some pretty good recordings when i didn't have
anything like a treated room, but it was a lot harder.

You'll get there my friend.

For all your audio production needs and technology training, visit us at

www.affordablestudioservices.com

or contact

Chris Belle

cb1963@xxxxxxxxxxxxx