[realmusicians] Re: USING SOCIAL NETWORKS

  • From: D!J!X! <megamansuperior@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 22:25:30 -0400

As a web developer I can tell you that it'll be hard to summarize all seo in
here, but I'll keep it simple:
Depending on the site and client, use social plugIns like the tweet button,
facebook-like,/recommend, linkedIn, plus1 etc. Here's the catch, the client
has to be actively promoting their site through the networks and they need
to have a good presence in the circles, otherwise this can hurt instead of
help, because the site will get a low score in those networks and then it'll
propagate to the search engine results. Please don't put a connect/media
section on a site just because everybody else is doing it, it can hurt more
than it help in the long run. When I tell some customers not to do such
things it's like asking them to pass up on business, but at the end, they
pay me for my experience/knoledge, so they listen lol. Also, because of
changes in many search engines and how the queries are done, now I encourage
my customers to focus more on social/online marketing and let search engines
take care of themselves. As long as your site meets good seo practices like:
good/constant site structures, proper use of contents/navigation, good
in-text linking, correct use of keywords (I don't just mean keywords listed
on the header, those are for the most part ignored nowadays), proper
structure; google is for example now looking at site sturctures and trying
to determine how legit a site is based on organization and structure. And
many other things, which again, would take quite a bit to detail. But there
is no program that can make your site get to the top of the page on google's
10 or anything like that, you just need to develop a good scheme (trust me,
no book can teach you that, only experience), and be sure that your content
and page surroundings are accurate. Stay away from programs/services that
promise these wonders, they usually cause bots to ignore/eliminate you
completely.
Another thing I'll mention quickily, PingBack, backtracking RSS and similar
technologies in this social media connected cyber age is probably as crucial
as, if not more important than (depending on the site and context in
question) than getting good search engine results...

HTH, D!J!X!

  _____