[realmusicians] Re: Sonar folder confusion

  • From: Chris Belle <cb1963@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 03:08:18 -0500

If your worried about over-writing files, since you have fewer files on the new computer, just save each project again and make sure when you do that you check the boxes and point to the directories, and or create the directories you want so each project has it's own audio folder.

Under tools, the consolidate audio option will take each projects files and save them in a back-up folder, so you can open each project, collect the relevant audio files that goes with it and save them out separately.

You can conversely create bundle files, and import them one by one to the new machine.

I'd suggest doing this and then running the clean audio folder and make sure you delete the cwp filesthat go with that audio that you want to get rid of and this will allow you to clean your audio folder.

I get lazy sometimes and forget to do this, but it's always best to start a new sonar project by opening a new template and making sure you have the audio folder set properly.

But it's always easy to correct later by re-saving it, so no worries.

At 07:58 PM 10/11/2009, you wrote:
I was using Sonar 4 for a long time on my PC from 2005, and now have both Sonar 6 and 7, which I use on my new music computer. I moved my cakewalk projects over to this new computer. Stupidly, I placed them in audio data, thinking "how nice, a folder already set up for everything audio that I have..." Obviously, this folder is, I believe intended to serve as the audio folder for Sonar 6 or 7?

Anyway, I sometimes get the message indicating the system can't find the audio, and I am trying to open a midi file. Granted, midi files that I recorded on my old system won't sound right, for the instrument definitions don't match up between my Yamaha PSR520 and the Yamaha S 900 that I'm using now,, but I get no sound from them in the newer sonar. Some of it is probably due to the audio snippets in the wrong folder for that version. My audio folder on the old computer is humongous. I read about what a good idea it is to clean out the audio folder, but I never felt secure enough to do it. Is there any risk, if I move the audio folder from the old system into what the new sonar wants as the audio folder, will I accidentally copy over some newer files? Some of the names are just numbers, so I'm hesitant because of this.

Any light that can be shed will be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Gudrun

Gudrun
Web: gudrunbrunot.com