[realmusicians] Perplexity!

  • From: Indigo <33indigo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 20:12:12 -0500

Win7 64 doesn't seem to want to let me do a clean install of Win XP 32 on top of it. It's acting like Hal did in the movie, what's its name, Space Odyssey 2001?, Win7 doesn't want to die.

I tried every way I know.
 Autorun on the Win Xp install disk doesn't autorun.
Setup.exe is grayed out on the XP install disk, and does not respond to either clicking from enter; or the physical mouse left click. I thought I'd fool the machine by leaving the XP install disk in the DVD drive, closed the tray, shut down the computer, waited a bit, then turned power on, but the XP install disk was ignored and Win7 booted up normally.
I don't get it, what else is there to do?
I don't want to image this Win7 somewhere else, I don't need it.
I have it elsewhere on disk already.
Could I format drive C from within Win7?
I didn't try that, I supposed it wouldn't let me do it.
Should I partition the 1.5 TB drive first, and try to install XP on that partition? I thought that I'd have a problem when the computer re booted during the installation process, it would boot to drive C where Win7 is installed, and not to the partition where I was trying to install XP.

If I can, I'd rather do a clean install of drive C with XP, and wipe out Win7, then partition later, if that's possible. No, I don't have external tools, there's no floppy drive for those little disk forematting and partitioning tools, and the tools I do have on CD are miserably slow I forematted a 160 GB drive once with them, and it took all day, it might take eternity to foremat a 1.5 TB drive, I have to do it with Windows tools.
.Thanks for any advice,
Indigo L