[realmusicians] Re: Perplexity!

  • From: D!J!X! <megamansuperior@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 23:09:46 -0500

You can't run xp setup from 7, because you're trying to go backwards.
You have to do an outside of windows install.
You'll need sited assistance or know your system well to do it by memory.
First thing's first, if your sata chipset is set to raid or ahci, get text
mode drivers for the controller, or windows xp will either crash with a BOSD
(Blue Screen of Deaf) or give you the "Nno installable disks were found"
error.
Another bigger problem, you'll need a floppy drive (built-in or external)
with those drivers on a disk. During the setup startup there's a portion
where you press f6 to load these drivers and select the controler etc. If
this is too much to deal with, go to bios, and set the sata mode or sata
type to legacy/IDE. This will run normally without drivers and the f6/floppy
drive.
Now, another issue which is probably why this isn't working for you in the
first place, when your computer is starting up, either 2 things happen:
1. it might display a quick prompt that says "press any key to boot from CD"
in which case you would strike a key on the keyboard and the computer would
boot from CD instead, and therefore start the xp setup.
2. The computer might expect you to press a key (usually f12, f11, or f10)
as it's booting up to enter boot menu or startup options. In this menu, it
shows you the various drives, you would then select cd rom from the list,
and it will proceed to boot from CD and load setup. Note that when using
this option it'll most likely also ask you to press a key to boot from CD,
even after you've selected the cd drive from the list; it's a security
feature.
From there you would load setup, press enter to start, press f8 to accept
license, use the partition manager to delete the current partitions, press
enter on the drive/space you'd like to use, select a format type, and it'll
start copying.
After that, it'll restart after 10-20 mins, and load more stuff, then it'll
launch the OOBE (out of box experience) ask for the user info etc.

HTH, D!J!X!