[real-eyes] street address for chips servicess Re: [NUT] Re: Fw: Please post to real-eyes

  • From: "jose" <crunch1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 10:37:54 -0500

If anyone needs it here is the full street address.

  318 E. 55th Street, K.C. MO 64113 - Phone (816)363-1300 | Fax (816)363-4942

Jose Lopez, President
Lopez Language Services, LLC

"We Speak Your Language"
Call us anytime at 888.824.3022

  From: Sheila Styron

  I work as the public policy coordinator for The Whole Person and represent
this organization with the city on accessibility issues. It was in this
capacity that I contacted Sergeant Fuller, lead investigator for the August 31
traffic incident where Chip Block was fatally struck down.

  This is what Sergeant Fuller told me about this accident, and this officer
had been unaware of Chip's visual impairment prior to speaking with me.

  The events were clearly filmed by a Max bus camera. The driver, a woman with
two dogs in her car was proceeding from west to east on 31st with the sun in
her eyes. She was first in line for the left arrow and when she got it, turned
left. The crosswalk was apparently in some amount of shade, and she hit Chip as
he was walking across Main in the crosswalk from east to west traveling along
the north side of the intersection. The film of the incident clearly shows that
Chip did not have the light and was not running.

  The intersection at 31st and Main is one where the city has been promising to
install an accessible pedestrian signal since around this time last year. The
Children's Center for Low Vision is right there along with the Rehabilitation
Institute. Consumer groups, orientation and mobility instructors who train
visually impaired people to travel safely and several individuals all
identified 31st and Main as a priority installation. The city has been dragging
its feet, and I recently spoke with the contractor who has the job and says he
has experienced difficulties being paid for his work in a timely fashion. The
most recent deadline for completion on a list of 7 APS installations designated
as priorities and including 31st and Main is currently set for the end of
September. I feel certain that this heartbreaking untimely death could have
most likely been avoided had there been an accessible pedestrian signal at 31st
and Main.

  Sheila Styron, Public Policy Coordinator

  The Whole Person

  3420 Broadway Suite 105

  Kansas City, MO 64111

  Work: 816.561.0304