[real-eyes] The Victor Reader Stream and or the i Pod nano?

  • From: "V Nork" <ginisd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 15:41:08 -0800

Hello List, I don't yet have either the Victor Reader Stream or the iPod nano,
as I still do some reasearch on these great sounding devices.  Recently I e
mailed Anna Dresner, a ptextbook author on access technology topics and really
knowledgeable as well as super nice, about my question if there was ever a
reason to have both the Victor Reader Stream and the iPod nano, apart from
affordability issues.  Below is her   interesting answer I am passing on, and
while it may be real basic for some listers, for others like myself,  it may be
helpful to hear her opinion.  And I would add, what a great gift it is to be
able to share with you guys coming from our diverse perspectives.  Merry
Christmas, Ginny
Hi Ginny,
I have both a Stream and an iPod Nano, and I use both a lot. The Stream is
better
for books and long podcasts  because of its navigation features and the
availability
of variable speed for all files. The iPod is better for music because you can
sort
music any way you want - album, artist, song, or genre - create playlists
without
using a PC (though if you want to change them once you've saved them, you do
need
a PC), being able to shuffle anything you want - an album, or all the songs by a
particular artist, or a long playlist containing many albums. If you want to
listen
to a podcast in realtime, iTunes and the iPod work great to find and  download,
podcasts
and sync them with the iPod; you press just a couple of keystrokes, and all
podcasts
you have listened to are deleted, and all new ones put on the iPod
automatically.
I also like the AAC format, which the stream doesn't play, but which a lot of my
music is in because I've been using iTunes for several years. You can play books
on an iPod and you can play music on a stream, but they really are specialized
for
their functions, and playing each type of file on the player that works with it
the
best is a great experience.
Best,
Anna