[ratpack] speeding ticket.

  • From: "PAUL W WATSON" <TSWATSON78@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "ratpack" <ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 08:11:53 -0600

I found this on the news this morning.

I don't think I ever have to worry about this kind of fine for speeding, since
part of it is based on income.

I'm sure that his speedo on his new $240,000 Mercedes was broken like he
claims, ya right.

The moral don't be rich, speed and have expensive cars in Europe.

Paul
"One Swedish motorist could be facing a gargantuan speeding fine - up to
$962,000 - after he was caught driving 180 mph along a Swiss motorway.

Police seized the Swede's driver's license and 570-horsepower black
Mercedes-Benz after he was released from police custody, The Local, a website
that covers Swedish news, reported. He could face a penalty of up to 1 million
Swiss francs - or $962,000 - depending on his income level, The Local reported.

In Switzerland speeding fines are based on the severity of the offense and the
offender's income level.

Police said the 37-year-old motorist was driving so fast in this $240,000
sports car that it took him nearly half a mile to stop.

Swiss officials did not know if it was a record, but that it "looks very close
to one," federal roads office spokesman Thomas Rohrbach told AFP.

We have no record of anyone being caught traveling faster in the country," a
police spokesman told Britain's Daily Telegraph on Friday.

The driver's explanation to officers: "I think the speedo on the car, which is
new, is faulty."

"A speed camera on the A12 highway between Bern and Lausanne captured the
transgression.

Police said he had eluded being zapped by numerous radars en route simply
because he was going too fast and they were unable to clock speeds beyond 125
mph. A newer camera perched along the motorway was able to snap his offense.

It's not the first time someone has had to pay such a hefty fine in Europe for
speeding. And even lower speeds can generate big fines.

In January, a Swiss court slapped a $290,000 speeding ticket on a millionaire
Ferrari driver who drove 60 mph (nearly twice the 30 mph limit) through a small
village.

The head of Finnish communications giant Nokia was ordered to may a $103,000
fine for his speeding ticket in 2002. Officers pulled over Anssi Vanjoki on his
cherry red Harley Davidson in Helsinki after he was clocked driving 47 mph in a
31-mph zone.

In Finland, traffic fines are also proportionate to an offender's crime and
income level."