[ratpack] Re: The ski loesson; Switzerlamd. 1963

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 18:09:44 -0600

Yep. You got it. Just a question of trial and error. If I remember, I'll try to get a front, rear and overhead shot (plus any detail shots that present themselves) to each car I shoot at the RF's show Saturday in Manti (for those of you who aren't familiar with it, it's pronounced "man-tye."

Sent from my Dreadnought using that barely tolerable Thunderbird email program

On 5/31/2010 5:53 AM, John Christensen wrote:
I was thinking there was some sort of setting that bracketed a focus area or something. I know now you just mean getting it all squared up in the picture..... at least I think that is what you mean.

JC

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I'm not sure what ya mean.  Holding the camera above my head?  I
    just set the lens for its widest focal length, hold it as high as
I can and make an educated guess about where to point it. Sometimes it takes several tries before I get what I'm looking for.

    If I misinterpreted your question lemme know, k?

    Sent from my Dreadnought using that barely tolerable Thunderbird email
program

    On 5/29/2010 6:12 AM, John Christensen wrote:
    Bracketing...... I know you havce mentioned it before, but what
    exactly is it? How does it work.

    J (too lazy to look for the manual) C

        Moving right along, I man have FINALLY come to grips with the
7D's autofocus issues. I shot a car show last nite with it. Since I was more interested in focus and sharpness, I
        bracketed the shots and found that in most cases it tends to
        overexpose by 1/3 to 1/2 stop.  But the photos are nice and
        crisp.  There's one of Bill William's Deuce roadster that's
        probably the best shot I've ever gotten of it.  It's a bitch
        to shoot indoors because of the reflections and flares on the
        black and chrome.  But I liked this shot.  I find myself
        alternating between low-angle and "top down" shots for some
        reason.  It's said that Andy Southard carried a ladder to
        many of his shoots:
        http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=5028 .  I've found that
        holding the camera above my head comes close.  It's a lot
        easier with digital than it musta been for him and many
        others with "analog film."  Speakin of which, I found that
        there's still film in my Pentax.  I'll shoot up the rest of
        the roll and see what turns up.  It's sure a loud SOB.  About
        twice as noisy as the Canons.

        Anyway, I had a real good time at the show and I'm REAL
        pleased with the quality of the images.  This is the first
        time I've been able to say that about the 7D.  Maybe it knew
        that I was on the verge of putting it up for sale.  :)  I'll
        keep it for the moment.

        RtR