[ratpack] The Moon

  • From: humminboid@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ratpack <ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jared Aicher <canyonbackpacker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 05:42:45 +0000 (UTC)

Out tonight, taking some photos of da moon in its 3/4 full glory. Manual mode
(or what ever Canon shooters are pleased to call it) and S unny 16 exposure.

The moon is  an object lit  by bright daylght, so base  e xposure would be:
F/16 at a shutter speed equal to whatever ISO  you are shooting at, and ignor e
the meter.    I chose 400, so my shutter speed would be ~  proper for the 450mm
equivalent of my lens. VR does help.

Not bad, and I went  to equivalent exposures... 1/1000 sec. at f/11, or 1/2000
at f/8 to stop more motion...I am really shaky at the azimuth, much more s o
than shooting  horizontally.  I give my poor VR a nervous breakd own!  Oh, but
it tries!

Again, not bad, but I can see for truly sharp pixes, I will need my big tripod,
turn off the VR and use the remote release.

Probably best to  catch the moon as it first rises, when the apparent size will
be magnified by the atmosphere, and brace meself really well, in the absence of
my 'pod.

'Zanybody know a good place to observe moonrise?  Preferably without a lot of
light pollution and sky glow to interfere with things.

Just another fine day in photoland. Life is good!

Later; C.