[ratpack] Re: Some of my recent projects

  • From: Mark Smith <muttley128@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 03:14:52 +0000

Very nice. Love the rimfires

Now to introduce myself.
My name is Mark
I met Ray at MMSP at the Rolex series race.
I interupted him as he was sitting to have lunch and he was
gracious enough to answer a couplle of questions that will
probably end up costing me money in the long run, with a new lens.

I had an amazing time and took some nice pictures, for my first time.

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 15:16:42 +0000
From: humminboid@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ratpack] Some of my recent projects

The photography isn't great, but I'll improve as I practice more.  Photography
is a magical pastime, but I do try to develop other interests/skills.

An explanation:

 The fang between two rimfires.  The knife I am making for my son-in-law for
Christmas.  Walnut handle, Walnut pins, not much contrast. Next time, I will
use a contrasting wood, whatever I can get in 1/4" dowels. It still is a work
in progress, but coming along nicely, I think. One down, two to go!

The Ruger Single Six, (revolver) with redwood grips I made.  I bought some
allegedly"stabilized" redwood with nice figure from an eBay sharpie. Nic
efigure, but not stabilized, and by the time I found out it wasn't as
advertised, I had lost the address of the guy, and daBay was no help.

Soooo... In the True Spirit of Never Leaving Well Enough Alone, I figured "HOW
hard can it be?" Did it meself. The first and last time I will try that!
Toughened the wood, but it was still brittle, but I repaired the cracks and
chip with sawdust and epoxy.  A definite "learning project", but they didn't
come out too bad.

My Ruger KMK514 target (autopistol) with defanged front sight, a Clark trigger
for slightly better than factory trigger pull, and overtravel adjustment. Never
leave well enough alone, that's my motto! A Ranch Products extended magazine
release, a Burris Fastfire II optical sight, A GOODNESS! I can now shoot
smaller groups... not that they were ever really  small. And the set of
Cocobolo grips I am close to finishing.