[ratpack] Salt flats stuff

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 21:28:37 -0600

I'm posting this to 3 lists so please forgive if yer on all 3 lists and get duplicates.

Larry: sorry, but no oversteer. If ya got that on the salt, bad things are about to happen.

I'm at the salt flats again (third time this summer) covering the BUB Motorcycle Speed Trials. The thread is here: http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,8542.0.html I'm the unofficial official reporter for www.landracing.com.

Here's a gratuitous shot of a V-Twin bike exiting the measured mile. I didn't get a speed on it, but I'd estimate around 120 or so. Not real fast, but the rider is, no doubt, enjoying him/herself. At this meet, many of the riders are on a quest to better their personal top speed. Some do, some don't.

[]

and here's Dave Edwards who just ran 176 in a production class 1650 cc Kawi. He and his crew were ecstatic cuz tat means they can move from the short course to the long course...and shoot for 200.

[]

I've done my best to keep these images small and I know there are folks on dial-up connections who would appreciate it if you'd remove 'em when replying.

This is what I've been doing this summer...among other things:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/lsr/bsf2010/Welcome.html

I've found out that retirement just means 16 hour days, 7 days a week. Yesterday I shot a Concours d'Elegance (French for "shiny old cars") and this morning headed back to the salt. I guess I have a bad case of salt fever.

There are a coupla things I just haven't gotten to putting on the web yet. One of 'em is a private test session where the OSU Buckeye Bullet, (did yer ears prick up, Rich?) which has moved away from the hydrogen fuel cell concept and gone back to batteries (lithium instead of lead-acid that was originally used) and set a new record for its class at 304 mph and a little bit of change. Damn, that thing is quiet! If yer not on yer toes ya miss it. http://blog.buckeyebullet.com/

A Brazilian stock car and driver Caca Bueno http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cac%C3%A1_Bueno was there to run 340 kph (which they did) but any more than that I don't really know. What surprised me was the fact that when I passed out some business cards, several guys on the team and on the video crew knew me from my posts on www.landracing.com I guess I got Andy Warhol's 15 minutes of fame. :)

I still gotta edit a buncha web pages. But I spose I wouldn't do it if I didn't get something out of it. I haven't figgered exactly what it is that I get, but I'm getting it. :)

Back to work.

RtR
www.chevyasylum.com
www.raytherat.com