[ratpack] Re: Photo thought for the day

  • From: humminboid@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 13:56:23 +0000 (UTC)

Exactly, Rick;

That's one of the problems; but "editing" has always been with us, in one form
or the other. Retouching was big 'way back in the darkroom
ages.   Photographers have always looked for ways to extend the capability of
their equipment, or to create a new reality.  The marvelous newer technology
doesn't eliminate the need for talent, but, it can obscure  shortcomings
there. A computer jock can save all but the most hideous examples of
photographic abomination, and that's not all bad.

Of course, us curmudgeons probably said the same about George Eastman's Kodak)
new camera for the masses, too. (Harrumpf... ruin   the art ! Yes, it will !)
   Nevertheless, proper knowledge of our craft 's  basics (more than just which
end of the camera to point at the subject) combined with judicious use of
modern tools and techniques can result in beautiful images.

But, as you say,  do it right the first time. You may not get another chance,
and in camera is better than in post processing. At least, in my never-humble
opinion!

I see "photographers" of all ages, one-handing their little
pastel-colored point and shoots, (even Nikon has a candy apple red one
....Hmmmm...looks kinda sharp...how would it be...?) peering  to be sure their
image is centered on the LCD screen, some gracefully on tippy-toe, with the
camera at arm's length overhead, and I think; "A small percentage of those will
one day become photographers."  And that's a good thing!

I was  at my granddaughter's Christmas program one year, with my big, black
Nikon and zoom  lens, snapping merrily away, and this little Oriental fellow
looked at me and grinned as he pulled his P & S out of a pocket, took a
picture, and said: "Mine's better than yours".  I couldn't disagree much. For
him, it was.

Photography is a magical pastime or occupation, with room enough for everyone,
without non-productive pixel envy, or discussions of "My dog's uglier than
your'n."

Been up since 4:30 now, down in the basement to exercise. Darn, I hate that!

Later

C.