[raspi-internals] Re: Automated reverse-engineering

  • From: Mathias Gottschlag <mgottschlag@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: raspi-internals@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 19:58:04 +0100

Am 02.01.2013 19:44, schrieb Michael J Kaye:
Hi folks,

First of all, well done for the great work you've done so far on
demystifying the RPi Broadcom GPU.

Second of all, I'd love to help, but it's been a little too long since I
studied Microelectronics for me to be useful straight away (I do
web-development now).

Hence, I was wondering whether it would be practical or useful to
produce a distributed application that could be run on the Pi that would
automatically probe the GPU and upload useful results; a bit like the
grid-computing performed by BOINC clients.

For the record, when my Pi arrives, I plan to run OpenElec and use it as
a media centre; and I don't imagine that would make things easier.

Links:
  *
http://wiki.duboue.net/index.php/Automated_Reverse_Engineering_Documentation
  * http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/REnouveau
Indeed, something like renouveau (possible targets would be 3d graphics hardware programming or power management?) might work and yield quite some information. I don't know though how many of the registers are accessible from the ARM core (we need some documentation about this!), so registers might need to be read from a videocore program. Certainly worth trying it imho, go for it if you want.

Mathias

Failing that, is there anything else someone like me could do that would
be useful?

Regards,