[racktables-users] Re: configuration scripts out of racktables

  • From: Lucas Aimaretto <laimaretto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 14:50:30 -0300

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 11:21 AM, Lucas Aimaretto <laimaretto@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We use daily racktables to document our routers. We have +1500 routers
> well documented within it, documenting IP addresses, VLANs, interfaces,
> ports with proper SFPs and also links. Fair enough. This is a great
> application.
>
> Yesterday colleagues of mine and myself were thinking on twisting the nut
> a little bit further: how could I possible generate a configuration script
> for a given router based on the information that exists in racktables?
>
> So, when a new router needs to be integrated in the network, we do
> generate a plan with IPs, interfaces, VLANs and ports. And we link the
> router with its neighbors. It would be great if with a simple button, and
> using the previous information, I could come out with the configuration
> script for that given router.
>
> Of course we have several vendors: Alcatel-Lucent, Cisco, Juniper, etc...
> I mean, though the information is general, the script should produce a
> configuration script that cannot be vendor agnostic ...
>
> Any hint on how to start doing something like this? How can I code such a
> plug-in? Can anyone provide any help or instructions on doing so?
>
> Many thanks and best regards!
>
> Lucas

Hi everyone, just a friendly reminder on this issue ...

I'm not expecting really someone else to do it, but rather, if any one
knows how to write from scratch any plugin that can accomplish this, I can
give it a try ... I really do not know how to write plugins for RT, but I
do know how to programm ... any hint on this at least?

Best regards!!

Lucas

--
"Antes teníamos hambre y mirábamos el reloj para saber qué hora era. Ahora
miramos el reloj para saber si tenemos hambre." -- Ernesto Sábato