[racktables-users] Re: Subnets to automatically inherit tags

  • From: Rob Walker <rwalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Chris James <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 17:50:06 +0000

On 7/8/14 10:40 AM, Chris James wrote:
> Rob,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
> I am not sure I have ever done an RFE in the bugtracker. I guess I can
> give that a try.
>
> Other answers:
>
> 1) Have not thought about that. For my purposes it would not matter. I
> am thinking in terms of subnets, lets say you have a /20, then 2x 21,
> then 2x 24, then 8x 28. You add a tag to the one of the 24s, all 28s
> under are tagged. If you add a tag to the /20, then everything inherits
> that tag.

It sounds like you are only talking about IP address tags, not tags in
general.  I use tags to denote building as well.  Only IPv4, or both
IPv4 and IPv6?  Maybe the workflow could be that when you create
something that is a child, the UI could have a checkbox that is "inherit
all parent tags".  The same would go for adding a tag to a parent, "add
to all children"

> 2) I do not think a tag should be removed that was not created
> implicitly for that sub-net. Again everything smaller than the item
> tagged must inherit.

Yeah, this is where things get interesting and I get confused.  For IPv4
addresses and IPv6 addresses, "bigger" and "smaller" makes sense, and I
think I could see how it goes.  But for buildings and OSes and disk
chassis and other things like that, maybe it doesn't.  Why would you
force this inheritance?  Maybe I am giving subnet A, B, C to customer 1,
while subnet D needs to go to customer 2, while the higher level subnet
was already tagged at customer 1.  Also, I'm thinking about location
tags, and when I start to use IPv4 /30 networks to go between buildings,
that building tag that started getting inherited is a no-go.

> 3) No change at all.

No change to tags at all.  Interesting.  I don't know yet what I think
about that.  I'll have to let it percolate for a while.  My opinions
don't really matter, it's up to the developers, they seem to be pretty
good on this RackTables stuff.  :-)

Here's how I would work around if right now if this were my problem.
I'd dig into the RackTables API and figure out how to read the tags of
objects.  Then I'd write a report that could be run and say, "Here's
some children that need to have their tags sync'd up with their
parents", and have that run via a cgi on a web page.  Check the web page
with nagios, if there's an error, send an email to your networking team
to go click away and get their rules followed.

Rob