[racktables-users] Re: What virtual infrastructure do you use?

  • From: Jonathan Thurman <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 20:25:28 -0800

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 7:52 AM, Mills, Matt <mmills@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> All,
>
> Was mulling over some Racktables code and I'm curious what types of
> virtualization infrastructure is most prevalent and how differently its
> used. I know we use VMware and it groups hosts into Clusters and allows VM
> migration across any host in a cluster seamlessly;

> Do you use something different and if so does it work in a different manner?

This is a tricky subject because everyone and their dog it seems has
written some kind of hypervisor tool kit.  A few popular ones that I
am aware of all work in different ways, and can be configured in
different ways too.

VMWare: Like you said *can* use shared storage and clustered hosts
where the guests could run on any host.  You can also put a guest on
local storage, or storage that only say 2 of 3 nodes can access.  In
the case of ESXi, you only have the single host and no HA, but guests
could still be stored on multiple volumes.

Proxmox: Supports local storage per host, and shared storage for
multiple hosts.  No automatic failover though, at least not in the
versions that I have used (1.x series).

Ganeti: Another front-end for managing Linux based virtual servers
(Xen/KVM).  It takes more of a share-nothing approach from the
discussions I have seen on it.  A guest is assigned a primary and a
secondary server to which the data is replicated at the block level
(DRBD).  So in a 3 host cluster with 3 guests, each host could be a
primary for one guest, and a secondary for another.  If two hosts died
you would lose at least one guest.

I guess what I am getting at is that for RackTables to store
information about VM Guests, and where they exist is a very in-depth
topic.  Realistically in VMware with HA / Vmotion the guests could be
auto-balancing between hosts all day long.  What you do know is where
the guest is stored and what hosts have access to that storage.

> Does it have a management server that provides any kind of API for accessing
> data?

I haven't really looked into this aspect of any virtualization
solution, but it is a good question to ask!  Having some even update a
guests location would be the only true way to know where a machine was
at any given time.  I am sure the open source ones could be motified
if they don't alreay have this feature, but that is beyond this
scope...

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

-Jonathan