[racktables-users] Unknown OID error when Cisco MIBs are installed on the server

  • From: Craig Hoffman <craig.hoffman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:38:16 -0500

When performing an SNMP sync, I get the following errors if the
appropriate MIBs are installed on the server.  I have these installed
for other applications also located on the server.

Server is Debian Lenny and the mibs are installed in /usr/share/snmp/mibs

With just the CISCO-SMI-V1SMI.my installed:

Unknown OID 'OID: CISCO-SMI::ciscoProducts.696'

With the above and CISCO-PRODUCTS-MIB-V1SMI.my installed:

Unknown OID 'OID: CISCO-PRODUCTS-MIB::catalyst2960G24'

(Side note: I had to restart Apache after I moved a MIB in or out for
that change to register within RT.  Not a bug... just an FYI)

I also made a temporary change in RackTables' snmp.php just for testing:
I stuck this at the very top to ignore the translated MIB output and
just show the numeric OID.  This seems to me like the more sane way to
go.  Unless, of course, this breaks other snmp checks within RT.

snmp_set_oid_output_format(SNMP_OID_OUTPUT_NUMERIC);

Unknown OID 'OID: .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.696'

So, if I pull out my MIBs(and the test code), RT works just fine.
But, IMO, there should be a way to either ignore the system MIBs or,
better yet, accept a full OID value.