[racktables-users] Re: Unknown OID error when Cisco MIBs are installed on the server

  • From: Denis Ovsienko <infrastation@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 12:05:25 +0300

17.02.10, 14:38, "Craig Hoffman" <craig.hoffman@xxxxxxxxx>:

> When performing an SNMP sync, I get the following errors if the
>  appropriate MIBs are installed on the server.  I have these installed
>  for other applications also located on the server.
>
>  Server is Debian Lenny and the mibs are installed in /usr/share/snmp/mibs
>
>  With just the CISCO-SMI-V1SMI.my installed:
>
>  Unknown OID 'OID: CISCO-SMI::ciscoProducts.696'
>

>  With the above and CISCO-PRODUCTS-MIB-V1SMI.my installed:
>
>  Unknown OID 'OID: CISCO-PRODUCTS-MIB::catalyst2960G24'
>
>  (Side note: I had to restart Apache after I moved a MIB in or out for
>  that change to register within RT.  Not a bug... just an FYI)

That's how php-snmp works. I find that normal.

>  I also made a temporary change in RackTables' snmp.php just for testing:
>  I stuck this at the very top to ignore the translated MIB output and
>  just show the numeric OID.  This seems to me like the more sane way to
>  go.  Unless, of course, this breaks other snmp checks within RT.
>
>  snmp_set_oid_output_format(SNMP_OID_OUTPUT_NUMERIC);

A problem with this call is that it's specific to PHP 5.2+, which some users
don't run (I judge by earlier issue with array_fill_keys()).

>  Unknown OID 'OID: .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.696'
>

>  So, if I pull out my MIBs(and the test code), RT works just fine.
>  But, IMO, there should be a way to either ignore the system MIBs or,
>  better yet, accept a full OID value.

However, I agree, that the work doesn't require presence or absence of
particular MIB files to complete. Let's hope to get this fixed by the next
maintenance release.

--
    Denis Ovsienko