[racktables-users] Re: 802.1q VLAN propagation

  • From: Christof <mail@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 09:17:12 +0200

Am 11-07-2014 14:50, schrieb Denis Ovsienko:
11.07.2014, 12:34, "Christof" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hi List,

i'm testing the 802.1q feature in racktables 0.20.8 at the moment. My
goal was to manage my vlans completely and I was quite satisfied up to
now. But I stuck.
My intend was to propagate a newly created vlan to all switches in a
802.1q domain as it is created. But as it seems racktables only
configures the new vlan on a switch if something changed (i.e. port in
any other vlan).

Is there any way to tell racktables, to add a vlan on creation?

Hi Christof.

This feature was designed to keep the list of VLANs on each switch as
short as possible, that is, to remove (or not to add) a VLAN from the
switch unless at least one port uses that VLAN or the VLAN propagation
is set to "permanent" (the default is "auto").

As far as the code reads now, RackTables would _not_ put all the
switches of a domain to the sync queue after the user added/removed a
"permanent" VLAN to/from that domain. If so, this could be a space for
improvement, yes.

--
    Denis Ovsienko

Hi Denis,

thank you for your answer. You are right RackTables does not put them into sync queue. Maybe i'll try to write a little script.

Kind regards,
Christof