[racktables-users] Re: 0.17, 0.18, VLANs

  • From: "Lokkerbol, Cliff" <lokkerbolc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 21:53:58 +0100

Hi

We would very much like to test this for you. We have 3 data centers used for
hosting and internal networks. There are about 200 hundred vlans running on
cisco and extreme switches. I am currently implementing racktables across the
company and these extra features are perfect for our needs.

Cliff
Innovation group
.

________________________________
From: Denis Ovsienko <infrastation@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: racktables-users-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 05/08/2010 12:33PM
Subject: [racktables-users] 0.17, 0.18, VLANs

Hello, list.

I would like to provide an overview of project's development. Current
"maintenance" (0.17.x) line will likely be finished with version 0.17.11 this
summer. About the same time the first release of 0.18 series will be made. Its
main improvement is support of 802.1Q VLANs, which I tried to design around
datacenter application of Ethernet networks. I am interested in getting
feedback about this new code before 0.18 branch gets stabilized, so if you have
a number of ports, which you would like to manage through RackTables, there is
additional information below.

The main idea is to store all 802.1Q configuration information in the database
(unlike LiveVLANs, which had no memory). This SQL configuration can be edited
and eventually gets deployed onto the actual device. The intial release will
likely support FastIron, Catalyst, Quidway and Nexus managed switches with
their differences hidden behind the user interface.

Another key point is to move as much decision making from switches to
RackTables as possible. In the new model network administrator binds every
managed switch with a management domain (which roughly stands for a role of
GVRP/VTP domains) and with a template (which tells, e.g. which ports are
uplinks). Together with the configuration of each particular port this data is
used to deploy only those bits, which are necessary for a particular switch to
perform according to its spec.

Of course, there is always a place for a fault in both design and
implementation. I am looking for people with experience in VLAN management and
with 10 to 100 managed switches to participate in pre-release testing. This
would include setting up a development version of RackTables in their network,
and actually using it for at least a fraction of VLAN management. I am already
doing first configuration deploys with this code.

--
 Denis Ovsienko

***Confidentiality Notice***

The information contained in this e-mail message (Re: [racktables-users] 0.17,
0.18, VLANs) sent from (JOrr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ), including any attachments, are
intended only for use of the individual or entity named above
(racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx). This e-mail may contain information that is
privileged, confidential and/or otherwise exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
any disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of the
communication or its substance is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error, please reply to this e-mail indicating you are not the intended
recipient and immediately destroy all copies of this e-mail. Receipt by anyone
other than the intended recipient is not a waiver of any privileged information.
Message Sent: 2010-05-08 16:18:34

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and not
necessarily the company. The contents of this email and any attachments are
confidential to The Innovation Group PLC and are solely for use by the intended
recipient at the email address to which it has been addressed.

This email and any attachments may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other
than the intended recipient, nor may it be copied in any way.  If you have
received this email in error, please forward a copy of this email to
itsupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and then delete it from your system.

The Innovation Group PLC: Registered in England 3256771
Registered Office: Yarmouth House 1300 Parkway Solent Business Park Whiteley
Hampshire PO15 7AE UK
http://www.innovation-group.com

This email and any attachments has been swept for computer viruses. Neither The
Innovation Group PLC nor the sender accept any responsibility for computer
viruses once this email has been transmitted.