[pythonvis] Re: Joseph Re: Re: exercise discussion

  • From: Ivan Pivac <Ivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythonvis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 21:22:17 +1200

Hi Richard,

I believe that at this stage, we are all finding our way to learn what would be a good method of bringing us inexperienced coders to a more advanced level. You may well be correct in what you suggest and I'm confident that before too long, we'll have a nice learning solution and way of tying it all together.

Regards
Ivan

On 19/05/2014 2:07 a.m., Richard Dinger wrote:
Joseph -

My intention was to first let the more inexperienced members try to solve the puzzle.

Then maybe use it as an example of first solving and then refining the solution.

I just don't know if revealing a solution like yours is helpful or harmful. On the one hand it shows a working solution, but on the other it may eliminate the challenge and turn students into spectators.

I think there is more than one approach to the problem and I would like to see some student approaches too.

So in answer to your question, could you wait a week or two to see what happens?

Richard

-----Original Message----- From: Joseph Lee
Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2014 3:22 AM
To: pythonvis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [pythonvis] Re: exercise discussion

Hi Ivan,
Ah, okay.
Let's try this way:
For retailer problem, examine what would the following code fragments will
do (without using the Pythone interpreter first):
1. 24.95/10*6
2. 24.95*(0.6)
3. float(24.95*0.6)
Now try running these fragments in the interpreter and write down what you
hear/see/read. Then write down similarities and differences in the reply
(hint: two of them do the same thing).
For the walking problem, can you tell us the exercise, any hints that the
book provides, how will you solve it and what you wrote (code) in the reply so we can provide some comments? In other words, what I'm personally after
is how you are thinking about the problem, not just cooking up a quick
solution.
Thanks.
Cheers,
Joseph P.S. Richard, would it be okay for us to publish our solution to your
number divisibility problem here?