[python] Re: riding progress

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:49:30 +0100

Moin Jürgen,

420 km are reached and I am not so
entusiastic any more. I want a recumbent for daily use and till
now I am still affraid to ride on
traffic roads.

I too am afraid to ride on traffic roads - but this because of the traffic and ignorant car drivers ;-)

Too bad that it does not work for you. If the bike is not safely
rideable after 420 km of experience, one has to ask what is wrong
with it.
I had a closer look at your bike
http://www.python.tieflieger.net\pics\p2_Juergen_Maier.jpg

The steering angle, I measure with 64 deg. That should not be
the reason. With angles below 60 deg, the wheel flop effect
might cause troubles, but yours seems ok.
The main problem in my opinion is the seat construction. The
hammock is not rigid enough. Especially in the shoulder and
butt area, a rigid support is important for the feeling of control.

Maybe you have the chance to try another seat and tell us, if
it feels better...

A fairing on center-steered bikes indeed makes not much sense.
In my opinion only a trike is suitable for this.

Greetings from Jürgen.