[python] Re: python Digest V11 #55

  • From: bepb <bepb@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 21:07:01 +0200

Hi Patrick,
I agree, trike or bike, the pivot axle should got through the hips. I don't have any serious issues with PSI. I guess having the pivot a bit more to the rear is better for stability than a bit more forward.

Vi actually I am not sure there is much difference in the PSI between my bike and trike. But actually, I never tried the 63 degree pivot angle on the trike. Also, the trike has a significant shorter wheelbase which I think should make the PSI more noticeable.

Concerning wheel flop, all my pythons, two bikes and the trike, show significant wheel flop. During the ride it seems no issue. Pushing one off the bike is cumbersome. I pick it up and carry it if I can't avoid it. With the trike, I just take one pedal and pull it behind me if required. Actually it rarely is necessary. My bike parks standing on its wheels and one of the pedals. This actually saves the kickstand :-).

Best regards
Gerald

Am 18.09.2013 16:50, schrieb Patrick van Gompel:
Hi Howard,

I have just done some measuring on my trike (for a pic see: http://cycle.free-creativity.com although nowadays I use ropes and no second steering handle), but I am not sure how useful it will be for you since I have a tilting trike. At the moment the angle is 67 degrees. It has been lower in the beginning I think, when I didn't use ropes and had the rod ends at neutral. The reason I adjusted the rod ends for a bigger angle wasn't because for steering issues but to get more clearance between the mudguard and my seat. Didn't notice much difference for the steering after that adjustment. Stability has always been great (except when slipping the front wheel). As a matter of fact, using the Jetrike tilting system was a bit too stable for my taste: at higher speeds it was hard to corner (lean enough). So I adjusted some arm lengths to lessen the seat rize effect for better high speed cornering. It's still not 100% the way I would like it, but the trike does it's job and is now more than 2 years old with many miles on it. I use it as a SUV (or should we call it SUC: Sports Utility Cycle?) for pulling a big trailer (part of my job as a garderner) and sometimes for speed (together with a friend's Strada).

Not sure what you exactely mean by : "I have found it necessary to reduce the angle to the low 50's I have tried 51 - 52 degrees and found the stability wonderful but the wheel flop prevents sharp turning." Can you describe 'stability' a bit more? What went wrong/undesirable while cycling? At low speed/high speed? What I suspect is that the CoG has a lot to do with it. As with the Python: when you steer to the left, the CoG will move to the right. With a Python you can adjust this by leaning to the left, but your trike can't. I think what happens is that when you steer your tike to the left the CoG will move to the right and generates a force for more steering input. (not really sure but just a theory). Think about it: you want to move to the left, but your CoG goes to the right. That is counterintuitive in my eyes. My question: does the trike have a tendency to flip when cornering at speed? Lowering the pivot angle might help since your legs (and therefore the CoG) leans more into the corner, but as you say you run into other problems like wheel flop.

"I agree that the PSI is more of a problem with the trikes and so a reduced pivot angle seems necessary. I don't agree. Why would it be more of a problem? Why reduce the pivot angle? I think to keep PSI as low as possible you would better stick to the Python theory: having the pivot line going through your hips. If you can't manage that with an 60-65 degree angle then you should shift your pivot.

Kind greetings,
Patrick

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 20:23:09 +1000
Subject: [python] Re: python Digest V11 #55
From: hstevens94@xxxxxxxxx
To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hullo Vi .......and congratulations on the number of models and experiments you carry out!! My next trike will not have a roof but the suggestion is a good one. I agree that the PSI is more of a problem with the trikes and so a reduced pivot angle seems necessary. This time I am fitting a damper a la Hipparon which may help and avoids the unsightly wheel flop when at rest. My building efforts seem to be rather slow this time, but I should be finished in the next month. CHanging the pivot angle after construction affects the whole geometry so that the mid section is either too high or too low, so I am hoping that 55 degrees will be just right!! Thanks for your comments.
Thanks also Gerald for your comments on pivot angle. Anyone else??
Regards from "Down under"....... Howard

    python Digest   Mon, 16 Sep 2013        Volume: 11  Issue: 055

    In This Issue:
                    [python] Re: python Digest V11 #53

    Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 23:11:12 -0700 (PDT)
    From: Vi Vuong <vi_vuong@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:vi_vuong@xxxxxxxxx>>
    Subject: [python] Re: python Digest V11 #53

    I have tried as low as 45 deg on both trike and bike, near zero
    trail?  I guess trike needs less self-centering from seat rise
    effect to control.
    Gerald, I notice more PSI on trike with same pivot angle.  Do
    you?  Maybe I am expecting more from a trike...

    Wheel flop is also unpleasant when walking bikes.  For trike I
    tend to pull from the front, but somehow a python does not look
    well when it "flops" standing still, not to mention damaging chain
    ring.  I have increased low pivot angle to ~60 understanding trade
    off.

    Howard, if your MK3 will have a roof also, I suggest attaching a
    bungee cord to the BB to keep both in place, see
    http://youtu.be/sB1V7Wb5HfQ. How about using rod-end pivot for
    angle adjustment?

    Vi

    >________________________________

          while the bike has 63. Maybe it makes sense because on the bike
          there is some influence from the tilting.
    >Load of 20-30kg is no problem if the slope is not to steep and the
          road has grip. If not, I have problems with the front wheel
          slipping.
    >Obviously, sitting more upright or leaning forward helps but is
          very uncomfortable. Part of the problem is that my trike has a
          very short wheelbase and part of the luggage rack is behind the
          rear axle.

    >Looking forward to see more pictures, both of your MK3 and Pauls
          trike!

    >Cheers
    >Gerald
    >
    >Am 15.09.2013 10:03, schrieb Howard Stevens:
    >
    >Hi all,
    >>I am interested in all the python trike chat at present.  I use
    an Avid B7 disc brake on the front wheel  and agree that the
    braking from the front brake is so powerful that I see no need for
    another unless it is as a backup brake in case of failure.  I have
    not experienced any tendency to jack-knife or lift the rear
    section.  I am interested in what people have experienced with
    recommended low 60's .  I have found it necessary to reduce the
    angle to the low 50's I have tried 51 - 52 degrees and found the
    stability wonderful but the wheel flop prevents sharp turning.
    This time I will try 55 degrees.  As I am building in f/g and
    carbon fibre it is not easy to make the angle adjustable and so I
would really be interested in the experiences of others. Cheers Howard Stevens

    <mailto:paul.2.needham@xxxxxxxxx>>
    >>>Subject: [python] Re: Building a cargo style trike
    >>>
    >>>Hi all
    >>>
    >>>Sorry but I am new to this mailing list format and don't
                seem to know
    >>>how to add to my own post when I get the mail in digest
                format [ need to
    >>>look that up ].
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for all your replies , I think initially this will be
                a 2 x front
    >>>brake trike and have a shortish wheel base of 36"
    >>>
    >>>If there is insufficient cargo space I will look at making a
                different
    >>>rear end.
    >>>
    >>>The sliding idea did not work as I cannot find any tubing
                with a loose
    >>>enough fit to slide inside another piece far enough to make
                it work.

    >>>I had another idea of a 3 bolt extending rear end , a bit
                more work but
    >>>better I though , however that won't work properly as I
                realised the
    >>>rear boom out to the axle slopes down to the pivot.
    >>>
    >>>This means any change in wheel base by moving the axle will
                cause the
    >>>pivot angle to change DOH !
    >>>
    >>>Progress can be followed here :-
    >>>
    >>>http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php/8210-Building-a-python-trike