[python] Re: new python: the "stokid python"

  • From: Dirk Bonné <dirk.bonne@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 19:45:50 +0200

On 03.10.2011 17:58, dirk@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> after reading DirkBs Wiki Page, i guess that he wanted his son to be more
> involved into bike trips, especially by allowing him to look over his father
> ;-)
I guess the first impression people have is that Vincent is driving me
to the kindergarten... ;-)
> Uipko Berghuis <uipko.berghuis@xxxxxxxxx> hat am 3. Oktober 2011 um 10:49
> geschrieben:
>
>> Very nice bike! It's a bit like the pino from hase.
The inspiration for stokid was the half-cycle solution, not the pino.
With the pino, the captain sits upright at the rear. Even though I use
my python mostly for for transporting my son, I still estimate that
about 70% of my trips are without my son. With the pino that would mean
that 70% of the trips the pino would be a bad solution (from
comfort&speed viewpoint). The stokid python without sto-kid is probably
about as fast as a regular recumbent.

>> Why did you chose for a upright and not a recumbent position for your son?

I considered building a back 2 back as a next step for the pythoon. But
B2B is very challenging to accomodate for a growing child. With an
upright solution you just pull up the seat, possibly adjust the
handlebar stem and all is okay again. I had some discussions about this
with a friend and the opinion was that the upright position for the
stokid has a handling problem: If my son was going to misbehave he was
going to be able to crash the bike (I know this from my regular tandem -
if my wife (stoker) gets afraid the bike gets more difficult to
control). I somehow turned that disadvantage around and made it into a
reason to build it ;-)