[python] Re: minimalseat

  • From: Ronald Hongsermeier <rwhongser@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 10:22:25 +0200

Hi Christian,
my suggestion in this case would be to have a look at some of the videos of Vi on youtube or check in the archives for some of his work.

regards,
Ron

On 19.09.2013 10:15, christiananders@xxxxxxx wrote:
I'm aware of this way to build it and th idea to use sandbags is really
nice. But it still keeps that bulky. I wanted to have a seat that is
1. maybe 30cm wide and 2. can be folded down so that the rearwheel at
least partly lies inbetween the left and the right part of the seat.

thx,

christian

  On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 07:48:54PM -0400, chris williams wrote:
Hi Christian,
I've brought up my preferred seat construction method here before, but am
happy to pass it on again.
I use a type of flexible plywood sometimes called snake ply or wiggle wood
that I've had no problem finding in local lumber yards. I simply make a
female form out of regular plywood, lay a piece of flexible ply in it,
slather indoor/outdoor wood glue on it, lay a second piece on top then
weigh it all down with sand bags. When the glue dries the two flexible
layers of ply can no longer flex and voila, you've got a light and cheap
seat :-) Good luck.
Chris Williams
On 2013-09-18 6:22 PM, <christiananders@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi guys

The bulkiest part of a python and many other recumbents is the seat.
Pythons like Olafs Monty (16") and the Tihas bigger 20"
http://myrecumbent.blogspot.ro/2013/05/python-turned-peregrine.html
are nice, because split apart they are pretty small. But the seat keeps
being bulky.

I could not find any seats like the one I think about. But when doing my
research I found this wooden seat http://hebike.borec.cz/DSCN9094s.jpg.
Removing those round sticks from the seat would come close to my idea.
So basically there are two anatomically formed tubes that just are
linked together on the ends. Those two tubes are on both sides of your
spine and are covered with some elastic material to get some comfort. If
that fits your back very well I would think that comfort is ok and the
bike is getting much smaller for transport without the need to seperate
the seat from the rest of the bike.

Do you have some (alternate) ideas for that (a) nonbulky seat?

regards,

christian