[python] Re: crazy idea?

  • From: "dirk@xxxxxxxxxx" <dirk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 08:19:06 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Dirk,

as was mentioned, it is the joints that take the most stress. I have had great
interest in 3D Printers an saw one in action once. However, it is a steep
learning curve to get one reliably working. There are fablab communities popping
up in various places to adresse this problem with team work. The printers are
slow and the material is not solid, rather a mesh of small tubes. Imagine a
glue-pistol you steer by hand. You cannot produce overlaps so far, so things
won't be easy, i'm afraid!

I came across a bamboo bike build for africa, with connected with sheetmetal
joints. I think you could use something like "dyneema ropes" running diagonally
across each field and reduce the torque and sheer stress greatly. In theory, the
wires only take pulling forces while the beams get the pushing forces, much like
moulton or pedersen designs. There was a danish company desiging a bike for puma
stores with a rope beam between steering pivot and pedals which could also be
used as a lock.
If you can adjust the tension of the wires, you could create universal joints
that are bolted together regardless of orientation. I'm not so sure about the
stiffness of such a concept. But if you come up with a cage-like design with a
driver inside of it, it could be working! Never stop tinkering!

I have to look at this cad-tool as well. if we could agree on a free cad
packages, that is available to all of us, i would set up a repository, so we can
share design and otehr documents!
Keep going!

Greetings,
DirkS