[python] Re: Welding or brazing?

  • From: John Lewis <john.lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 10:58:19 +0800

nerdie wrote:
Hy Pythonauts,

I looked in the mailinglist, but i cant seem to find a satisfying answer to this question: Welding or brazing when building a bike?

What are the pro' s and con's? (strength, easyness, costs)

Kind regards,

Arjen

I have used both. I like Oxy acetelyne brazing best and done right fillet brazing is as strong as arc welding. Here the monthly rental on the gas bottles plus gas cost makes it prohibitive from the hobbyist perspective. Joints do need to be an accurate and very good fit for brazing. Welding is a bit more forgiving in that regard.

My most recent bikes were built with a little DC inverter stick welder and I am satisfied with the results. No welds or brazing has yet broken. A lot of the builders on Atomic Zombie forum use gasless mig.

One thing I'd recommend if using electric welding is to invest in a self darkening helmet. That improved my welds out of sight.

John