[python] Re: Steering a non-leaning Python trike

  • From: paul needham <paul.2.needham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 07:33:07 +0100

Hi all

My trike was built with advice from Triked USA and I attempted to get a 56' pivot angle and a BB height of 40 cm.

I have not measured the angle to see how close I got , however I have no complaints on it's handling it is quite cable of getting on to 2 wheels if I am to enthusiastic !

I an sure the BB is at 40cm.

I have not measured the trail.

I have not measured the turning circle.

I will try to do these today and report back.

You could try a pair of smaller rear wheels ? they would change the pivot angle 12" , 16" and 18" are available.

Are you saying your trike does not hit the physical limits of the front end movement whilst riding , however you have to use a great deal of force to get it to turn ?

When stationary does your front end fall over to one side ?

Does it rise to vertical when you sit on it ?

My pivot will allow the flop however it has to be to tight to allow the front to rise when sat on [ otherwise it can be felt rocking when pedalling & braking .

Quick test get it free wheeling down a incline take you feet off the pedals , how heavy is the steering ? mine is quite light all the heaviness is caused by the resistance of my legs to turning and not the pivot angle/trail.

regards Paul

On 26/04/15 06:30, Vi Vuong (Redacted sender vi_vuong@xxxxxxxxx for DMARC) wrote:

Hi Jim

I don't have experience with such high pivot angle on a trike or paid much attention but it seems that the combination of longer trail and high angle would make it harder to turn. If you can't adjust your pivot, you can try raising your front wheel on the curb it remove rear wheels for a quick test.

Trike can tolerate lower angles than 60 deg until wheel flip becomes an issue, which also depends on the height of your BB.

Vi

On Apr 25, 2015, at 4:29 PM, James Wells <jim@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jim@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

So far I have not heard anyone talk about a non-leaning Python trike that steers well through tight radius turns.

Could it be that the geometry (pivot angle and trail) needs to be quite different for such a trike? Mine has a pivot angle of about 68 degrees and trail of about -30cm. My gut feeling is that it needs less self-centering. From Dirk Bonne's graphs I would get this by reducing the trail and increasing the pivot angle. Of course his graphs are based on a two-wheeled Python and I don't know if they are applicable. My gut feeling could be all wrong too.

Perhaps I should hurry up with my Ilean implementation.

Any thoughts?
Thank you.
Jim
--