[python] Steering a non-leaning Python trike

  • From: James Wells <jim@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 19:29:50 -0400

So far I have not heard anyone talk about a non-leaning Python trike that
steers well through tight radius turns.

Could it be that the geometry (pivot angle and trail) needs to be quite
different for such a trike? Mine has a pivot angle of about 68 degrees and
trail of about -30cm. My gut feeling is that it needs less self-centering.
From Dirk Bonne's graphs I would get this by reducing the trail and
increasing the pivot angle. Of course his graphs are based on a two-wheeled
Python and I don't know if they are applicable. My gut feeling could be all
wrong too.

Perhaps I should hurry up with my Ilean implementation.

Any thoughts?
Thank you.
Jim
--