[python] OT: LWB RWD lowracer

  • From: Ray Schumacher <mtb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 19:00:53 -0700

My new project is getting there:
http://rjs.org/recumbents/images/
Rear suspension is ~1.5"" travel; pivot is 2 stem clamps welded to the frame and 1 seatpost clamp welded to the chainstays, the center is tightened down and the outers are greased and just loose enough to turn - very light.

Front is 3/4" x 10" pipe nipple inside the 1" steerer cut from the fork crown, very snug fit.
I need to add the front dropouts after I decide on an angle and trail, thinking 83deg with 4" trail - front head angle is adjustable
Bill Patterson's active experience with LWBs, and hence his formulas, call for very large trail for this design. My program indicates that 4" at 83deg., ~6" at 80deg etc. will be most self stable; 4mph on up to 80...
We'll see.

no decision on steering type yet, under seat or over...

seat will be shaped ply and fabric/foam

BB shell is adjustable fore-aft

Cheers,
Ray