[python] Re: steering pivot

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 11:17:18 +0200

Siwmae Jurgen and all python keepers!

Hello Rhisiart, Celtic Man and Python Admirer,

In the end I'd sooner go for a python than a flevo, because the steeper steering angle allows a more convenient geometry. And of course flevos seem to need steering dampers.

The flevo steering damper is especially useful while pushing the bike and while riding slow. At higher speed it is not really necessary.

Pythons don't really need it. Though the damper might help, while
pushing it and while coasting downhill. I prefer to have no damper
at all. Pushing works fine and downhills 50 km/h is my personal
limit anyway.

So what I'm asking here is: in the light of all you intrepid pioneers' actual road experience, is the BB steering joint a good practical solution, or should I go back to looking for something beefier? Obviously I'd sooner go with the BB, as it's cheap and off-the-shelf available, and Jurgen seems to have created an eminently simple, practical linkage solution. But is the BB really up
to it?

I second Ray in his opinion. A used cartridge BBs is the cheapest working solution. Forget the cup and cones BBs.
Additionally: Maybe you find some old car wheel bearings as I did for
the P4 (tapered roller bearings are great for both axial and radial loads).

The other point I wanted to mention is that my home-made has been designed for orthodox pedalling in the recumbent position, or alternatively for rowing in a more upright position on the same seat,
with back unsupported, to provide a lot more upper body workout than
pedalling can.

Any pictures? Sounds interesting to me.