[python] Re: News from Canada

  • From: "25hz" <25hz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:03:31 -0400

My friend made the fender and i'm not sure what process he used.  I do know
he made a quick mould though.  The CF fender is lighter (not sure by how
much as they are close) than the one I made because I first welded up a 1/4"
steel frame and wrapped the fibreglass around it.  Aside from the weight, I
like the CF fender because it's very stiff and doesn't move while I'm
riding, turning or wiping out :)

> Hi 25hz,
>
> how did you make the mould for the carbon fender? Is the carbon fender
> very much lighter than the fibreglass one?
>
> greatings,
> Dirk
>
> On 09/15/2005 05:48 AM, 25hz wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the comments :)
> >
> >My friend Larry made the fender for me after seeing the hideous
fibreglass
> >one I made.  It's very stiff and I will use it to mount a water bottle
and
> >quite likely a couple lights.  I wanted it to go all the way to the front
so
> >that I wouldn't get wind blowing the water off the tire, up and into my
face
> >on wet days.
> >
> >I finished the "repairs" to my python and took it for a test ride
tonight.
> >It handles a little differently again because I changed a fair number of
> >things.  The cool thing is, after a minute or two, it feels "normal" -
errr
> >. . . as "normal" as a python can feel :)  I detailed some of the changes
> >made on the site again, and the newest(hopefully last) specs are here:
> >http://bikes.jkcc.com/python%20clone.htm#specs
> >The details of some of the latest changes are listed above the specs
table.
> >Pictures will follow tomorrow.  :)
> >
> >One thing I am very impressed about with the python's design, is it's
> >toughness.  I have had well over a dozen wipeouts at speeds in excess of
30
> >kph and if I had have been on a df bike, it would have been toast after
the
> >3rd or 4th one, quite likely.  That isn't mentioning the damage to ME
that
> >would have occured on each one had I been riding an upright.  It is a
very
> >cool bent, very cool design, and a whole ton of fun to ride.  The most
> >satisfying thing, for me and my friend, is taking a bike that felt
> >absolutely unrideable, and now we can cruise at 35 kph without much
effort
> >at all, and on even the slightest downhill, we can stretch it out to 45
kph+
> >and hold them at that speed.  I can hardly wait til we have enough time
on
> >the pythons to cruise at a speed that makes our legs and cardio work.
Right