[python] Re: Handle Bar

  • From: dirk.bonne@xxxxxxx
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 12:49:34 +0100

Jürgen Mages wrote:
> Handlebars are a matter of taste. They are not needed for steering and
> so I leave the aside which saves weight and improves air drag.
On the 20" python you can use the handlebars welded to the front to make
shorter turns. On a 20" python it is possible to pull the front frame
much more sideways using the handlebars, than is possible with legs
alone - not sure if it is possible for a 26" because the self centering
forces are larger. Also, just resting the hands on the handlebars gives
that extra little bit of damping removing that last bit of pedal induced
steering.

Other then that I am not really using them, and most of the time they
are just used for armrests.

I am convincent that these handlebars saved me from some bad
consequences of an accident. I was crossing a crossing at high speed. A
car coming from opposite side, blinded by the setting sun, didn't see me
coming, and turned to its left crossing my path. It was impossible for
me to stop, but I managed to turn 90degrees to the right so we hit each
other side by side, with only material damage (mostly his cardoor). I
doubt I would have been able to turn that short a turn without the
handlebars.

The disadvantage seems to be that if you learn riding a python with
them, your ability to ride without seems to be impared, or takes much
longer time. But if you learn to ride without them, you did not learn to
use your hands for steering and well they are only interfering then.

> Brake levers are beneath the seat which keeps them dry and protected
Yes my brakes look like they have gone through war. Stylistic it fits
with the unfinished look of the bike though (rusty, but still going
strong :-) ).