[python] Re: Fw: p3 fine tuned now

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Python Malinglist" <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 14:52:50 +0200

> > The child diseases are finally cured and riding starts
> > to make fun.
>
> What did you change from the original set up?

Not much more than the pivot of the 28" seat fork. I moved
it about 10 cm frontwards. This operation made the seat back
somewhat more rigid, thus allowing better turns and control
at higher speeds. Also I changed the seat cushion from a very
soft to a harder foam material, because I felt pain in the lumbar
region on longer rides.
The third change, I made, was widening the possible turning
angle of the front wheel by cutting out the seat plywood. Before,
the seat plate - front wheel fender colission inhibited a smaller
turning radius.

> > Cornering is becoming easier every day and I dared
> > to ride about 50 km/h downhill. No wobbling so
> > far, but after my first desastruous tour 3 weeks ago,
> > I am still very careful.
>
> As far as I remember you rode the P1 at a much higher speed without
anxiety.
> How do you explain the difference?

Yes, about 70 km/h. The reason is, that in general a center-steered bike
is controlled at a very low-level cerebral action. Much more than a normal
recumbent, or an upright. Movements and cornering are performed
"intuitively". Now, if you change from one CS bike to another, the
differences make you feel insecure, especially when cornering and at
higher speeds. You will always need a longer training phase to feel
really safe, after changing.

> Finally: I am still collecting material and tools for my project (guess I
> will have to update my welding machine park...). In the meantime I enjoy a
> wonderful time visualizing the construction. Your detailed pictures do
> help me a lot. Would it be possible to upload pictures showing the
> stand and seat setup? How do you prevent the stand from falling down
> (is there a hidden spring somewhere?)? And how did you arrange the
> seatbelts at the upper part of the 28" fork?

Thank you Bjørn. I desperately needed some feedback for my website, to
continue. I will complete the stand and the seat chapter within the next
week.
Hope that helps.

The stand is simply holded by friction. With the bolt of the stand axle,
the pressure of the stand arms on the 40x40 tube can be adjusted.

The seatbelt is one 2.40 m long piece, hold together by a buckle.
Detailed pictures will follow soon.

Regards from Jürgen.