[pure-silver] Re: safe light issues

  • From: "Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee" <michaelandpaula@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 17:48:04 -0400

I use a Thomas safelight. not only is it bright enough to read by (even when the vanes are turned down low for enlarging paper, but there is zero eye adjustment time when the lights are turned on or off.

At the moment you will need to find a used one, as Thomas is not manufacturing them at the moment. They will be doing so in the near future.

Michael A. Smith

I stumbled onto a clearance sale at Lowes today that had a red bulb for
a $1.50.  I thought immediately, "safe light" only after a little
thinking the red over an ordinary bulb probably isn't going to be the
red needed for a safe light either.  I bought one anyway out of
curiosity.

Now another thing crossed my mind for the first time.  Due to the beauty
of government intelligence (and if that isn't an oxymoron I don't know
what is) the standard light bulb is just about a thing of the past.  I
am going to have to assume that either the bulbs I have been using are
going stop being manufactured or they soon will be.  I have had a couple
of safelight bulbs I have used for a long time,but sooner or later they
are going to go.  Anyone have any idea on what can be used to replace
them?

I am about to have to change how I am using safe lights.  Over the years
and 5 different eye surgeries have made them very slow to react to
changes between light an dark.  In younger years I could function well
in very little light and when the room light came on to check prints
ect, it was no problem.  Now my eyes adapt slowly and a brighter safe
light will help with that, as long as it doesn't fog the paper.

The test I have always used is a coin over an unexposed piece of paper,
but if there is a better one Id be interested.  Id be interested to know
what everyone is doing for safelights these days.