[pure-silver] Re: [pure-silver]: modern vs traditional: was: stopbath kills fix er

  • From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:37:29 -0500

I used the terms "traditional" and "silver rich" for lack of any other way of
naming these films.  Whether they actually have a high silver content is
something else entirely.

That modern emulsions are harder and less prone to scratching is certainly a
plus.  But the Forte, Foma and other films have their advantages even though
they must be handled more carefully.  Rather than ignoring modern technology
perhaps the intent is to retain their unique characteristics.

I personally do not like the *look* of tabular grain films any more than I like
the *look* of digital images.  I do not consider grain to be a dirty word.

Jerry