[pure-silver] Re: [pure-silver]: Democracy in Peril

  • From: Georges Giralt <georges.giralt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, pure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 19:28:54 +0200

joe suburbs a écrit :
> Zim,
>
> I respect you as the great guru of wisdom, reason and intellectual
> creativity, but... we're not throwing democracy down the tubes, in fact the
> opposite is the case... by deciding to take one course of action, signing up
> for one list or another and eschewing one process or another we are
> voting--after a fashion, in a way. Just because we're sheep doesn't mean
> we're not sheep in a democracy.
>
> No one mandated any course of action. No guns were held to any list member's
> head, no threats were made, no one coerced anyone to take any action. There
> was not even any cajoling.
>
> That people followed a path of least resistance in this case does not signify
> any trends because you cannot extrapolate trends from one data point. I
> suspect many people signed up for the freelist list that Brick originated
> because it provided an acceptable solution to them.
>
> Key word being acceptable. Not good, better, best or even fair, right, moral
> or just. Not even final. But acceptable.
Objection your honnor !
The first AND ONLY choice was picked and Mr Schartz decided, he, imself,
alone, that as a list existed there were no place for discussion nor
improvement.
Now, I know better why America is behaving like this latelly ! Send the
marines !

> Consensus takes many forms, the process isn't always going to follow Robert's
> Rules of Order or any order whatsoever.
>
> Congress, the House of Commons and Parliament notwithstanding, democracy can
> be quite organic at times.
>
> Still, I agree with you,
Now, we have 3 lists ... the one run by Tim 'till end of October, the
one "run" by Jim and the one run by Ryuji... Now, despite Mr Schwartz
cry out, we can make a choice. This begins to be some sort of democracy.
In this matter, the so called activist is not the said red one ... but
the brown one filling my mail box with it's vociferation. My family and
I know how to treat these sort of guys. Learned the hard way.
So I'll crosspost, to let other know that grass can be greener on the
other side of the road.

>    <snip>  Liberties, civil rights and civil society are on the decline in
> America
> because people are all too willing to toss them out with both hands..
> </snip>
>
> This has been the case, all over the world, at least since the Renaissance.
> In my opinion there has been a trend towards being sheep for at least 2000
> years. But even still, I do not agree that what happened to Pure-Silver is an
> example of that. Quite the contrary in fact. People voted with their list
> memberships. What's more democratic than that?
>
> Best,
>
> --
> joe suburbs the post modern hyper rural sub urban anti hero and vertiginous
> surrealist
>

> "Edward C. Zimmermann" <edz@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Quoting "richard l. gifford" :
>

>>I somehow let the free society comment pass the first
>>time, but I don't have the strength to resist again.
>>In the US we have only one right remaining, which is
>>the right to call an attorney.
>

> Which you don't have unless you can PURCHASE that right, viz.
> unless you have money your access to legal counsel and
> representation is limited. Even in criminal matters where mediated
> by the fundamental right to a "fair trial" a defence advocate can
> be appointed by court it is widely held to be the most minimal
> fulfillment, often in word only and barely intent--- just as the
> juries are hardly peers but actors within a ritualized play.
>
> But look a the ruckus we've had here and the crys against discussion
> and the widespread vocal aversion to committies and other democratic
> institutionalized processess as inefficient--- which implicitly leaves
> the path towards despotic rule with the least resistance and highest value..?
>
> Liberties, civil rights and civil society are on the decline in America
> because people are all too willing to toss them out with both hands..
>

>>Regards... Dick Gifford
>>
>>Bill Stephenson wrote:
>>

>>>This comes as news to you?

Ce message est constitué d'au moins 50 % d'électrons recyclés.
Aucun électron n'a été blessé ou forcé d'aucune manière
pendant l'écriture de ce message. S'il vous plaît aidez nous
à conserver nos ressources, recyclez vos électrons !