[pure-silver] Re: phosphorescent paint

  • From: Bill <photographica@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 01:47:57 -0400

(sorry for being behind the times - I'm catching up after a swap to a new computer.)

Was that ever shown to be actually hazardous, or was it a perceived hazard? I don't recall ever hearing of any damage done by such products, including the "polonium" strip in the darkroom negative brushes. I suppose ingesting it wouldn't be a great idea, but from what I can see, there aren't millions of cancers of the wrist, or amputated hands as a result of wearing all those radioactive wrist watches.

-Bill

On Apr 27, 2009, at 5:55 PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

Note that this stuff glows when exposed to light but the glow dies down pretty quickly because there is nothing in it to excite the fluorescence. The "illuminated" clock and watch dials of many decades ago continued to glow in the dark because they contained a small amount of radio-active material. That turned out to be hazardous so it was discontinued quite some time ago.