[pure-silver] Re: loading med format steel reels

  • From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 09:33:35 -0400

At least one manufacturer used to market a guide to help load 120 reels.
This consisted of a curved sheet of SS about 4 inches long with two
opposite edges bent up to hold the film.  This provided just enough
cupping of the film so that the film would fit between the reel spirals.
As the film came off the guide it would flatten out so that it was now
trapped between the spirals.  It also prevented the film from kinking.
This made loading really simple.  Perhaps you could find one in a camera
store that still has older stock or on ebay.

The guide looked like this when viewed on edge except that the bottom
was slightly curved instead of flat as in the diagram.

BTW, as opposed to the 35mm reels, it almost impossible to bend the
stout wire used in the 120 reels.  Even if you should drop one.

Jerry